Books Books Books

Books???
What are they?

A book is a set or collection of written, printed, illustrated, or blank sheets, made of paper, parchment, or other material, usually fastened together to hinge at one side. A single sheet within a book is called a leaf, and each side of a sheet is called a page. A book produced in electronic format is known as an e-book.

Okay that got too serious :-)

Who needs books??
We don't. We're Gen X. We flee from books the way a Princess would flee from an ogre (everybody is not Princess Fiona). But I guess in this context, if a book is an ogre and I a Princess, then I'd love it with all I have. I've been brought up reading, reading, reading or rather I choose to grow up that way.
The habit of reading is said to be the most sophisticated and civilized habit. Who cares we're all rebels we don't need books to make us civilized. Or do we?
The definition of being civilized has also changed. For our predecessors, being civilized mainly meant being cultured, well behaved and well respected in society. For us being civilized is being 'in'. Wearing the 'in' brands, speaking the 'in' language (which is by the way filled with profanity and slang), etc. So why can't we read the 'in' books.
The the book or the series that has triggered of this rare phenomenon in todays world is.....
any guesses??
oh come on its the "Harry Potter" series. Its 'in' right. Its keeps you wanting for more. Well I'll not discuss why the series has become such a rage among children and adult alike. I want you to note the change it has brought.
People it has brought reading back into our lives.
God Bless J.K Rowling for that.
If you know of any more books that have kicked off a strom, please let me know. I'd love to get my hands on it :-)

Comments

Archana Narayan said…
Hey Smiti! Am a big, big fan of Harry Porter myself. Harry Porter did wonders... but I am not sure it would ensure that the people who took to reading it will continue reading other books. They would probably wait for another 'Harry Porter'-type book that creates waves.

I think The Da Vinci Code also created a lot of hype. It created some controversies also. I personally luved the book. Although I did like Angels and Demons better.

Cheers,
Archie
MumLee said…
Hmm..
I never read Harry porter even though I had the soft copy with me.. And I am not planning to read it also.. coz.. I do not feel like.. May be something beyond my interest..

But I agree with Archie, I am a great fan of Dan Brown series.. And Angels and Demons.. it is superb.. Da Vinci code also, with lot of twists.. Controversy ... But I too liked A&D more than D'code. I love to read the inspirational books. So definitely, Poulo Coelho series.. I have a good collection of these books with me..:)
sonia said…
books, books, books.. anytime, anyady.. love to read them, always have, always will.. not a huge fan of Potter though and have never made an attempt to read them
Unknown said…
books bookssssss !!!its a knowledge, read it it wil fill ur mind wd interesting things
ko.rainbow said…
I agree that Gen X has no time or interest to read. I personally love reading and I try to read whatever I can lay my hands on. What I would like to say is a book lover would read no matter what. And people who do not read are just not interested. Its just a matter of personal interest is what I feel.
Unknown said…
I love Harry!!
Harry zindabad!
Unknown said…
The Bible kicks off quite a storm too.
Unknown said…
Yes you better start reading bestseller they always kick off a storm.
Unknown said…
As far as i remember Gulshan Nanda books created quite a stir in the past.
Unknown said…
Ebooks are also a good idea.
Unknown said…
Books give us knowledge ,i enjoy reading books i personally like The Da Vinci Code book
Unknown said…
chetan bhagat...da vince code...jeffery archer last novel...
Unknown said…
Africa. blacks r so violent bcos of their past n even now thy r not willing to change their life style. but some one must change their attitude
Unknown said…
it is okay........
Unknown said…
hey smrithi!good to read such interesting blogs!surprised to see people still reading books!
Bobby said…
Chetan bhagat bought me into this field of reading books.. All the three are gud ones... I never read harry porter bcoz itz beyind my capabilty...

Popular posts from this blog

Novels Into Movies!

Africa