India Burning Again??

I was still trying to digest the news of the serial blasts in Delhi's famous markets yesterday when I had another shock at 1:30 am at night.

I received an SMS from my friend Monty this is what it said. "Emergency! Pray for Churches in Banglore. RSS beat up 36 Pastors; now heading towards New Life College. They have also attacked SIACS. Pray for Bible College students. Please forward this message." Shocked as I already was I switched on the television immediately. To my surprise I saw and heard no mention of Banglore on any news channel. I called Monty after surfing news channels of all languages. This is what he said.

Me: Monty is the news you gave true? I don't see anything on t.v
Monty: Yes I know even I don't see anything on t.v but I'm sure its true as I got the message from a friend who's from Banglore. He saw a Pastor being beaten up.
Me: Okay, I guess it will come in the news by morning.

We then wished each other good night but hardly slept. Me, Monty and other such Christians who received this message last night hardly slept.

No news till now and its already almost 12 hours since I received that SMS. It was probably a rumour. Probably.

9:00 am
My cousin Robin sends me another SMS stating the following.
Fresh riots in Orissa today: A nun burnt alive. Several Christian workers assaulted with deadly weapons. Orissa Christians forecast more trouble. Mobilize prayer support. Forward SMS to all Believers.

I asked myself what is going on?
I still have no answers. All I know at this hour of darkenss we need to rely on our faithful God. Just a passing phase hopefully.

Then I had other thoughts. How can such an inhuman thing happen in a very secular city like Banglore? How soon will these fanatics reach the home of Christian believers like me form beating up Pastors. (I guess when their high command allows them to graduate from Pastors to People). What is the Indian Govt doing? Why aren't the news channels showing the truth? (I'm guessing thats what they're meant to do).

Finally I asked myself Am I safe in my own country?
Did not have to wait long for an answer. I'm not safe here. India is burning again and I want to flee with my family and friends.

Why is India burning this time? Because a VHP leader was murdered by a maoist? Where do Christians or for that matter any minority feature here? What are these bodies VHP and RSS? Who the hell do they think they are? If you ask me I'd say they don't know what they are doing. If they were themselves they would've been rational humans and not fanatics bent on murdering innocent people for no reason. They're just possessed (not the Exorcist way). They are blinded by the opium called Religon. Karl Marx was right I guess "Religion is the opium of the masses".

I hope these lost sheep come back to their senses and treat man as man and especially the way they would like to be treated by others.

I would welcome the feeling of being a second rate citizen in another country when compared to feeling an outsider, a minority, a doormat in my own country.

Treat others as you youself want to be treated. Hope the same does not happen to you VHP RSS and all such other inhuman disgusting bodies. I'm saying this because Jesus said "Those who live by the sword die by the sword". He also said "Pray for your enemies and for those whom you hate. For if you pray for only those whom you love, what reward is there in it?"

So I shall pray not only for the poor souls of us who feel threatened but also for the poorer souls who threaten.

For related news read here http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14757893

Comments

Archana Narayan said…
Smriti, I think the issue is about religious fanaticism rather than about minorities. No one is safe, regardless of their religions. Fanaticism in any religion will result in politicization of religion and finally in blood shed. Forced conversions, riots, bloodsheds, fanaticism are common in all religions. But who is to blame? Really small groups that do not represent the thoughts and emotions of the majority or the group. Therefore, it is not about minorities and majorities. It is about crazy beliefs, conditions, feelings of being wronged, feelings of being neglected by the state, attention seeking behavior.
Sneha said…
I agree with Archi that this is more about religious fanaticism and is more politically motivated than is really a reflection of how people really feel in the country.(but then again, I'm sure the Germans in the early 19 hundreds would have shrugged off early Jew killings the same way).
Something interesting popped from the recesses of my memory that seem very apt here.
Below is an excerpt from a book by a German Pastor who was against the Nazis.

" In Germany they came first for the communists and I didnt speak up because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I didnt speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics and I didnt speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, by that time there was no one left to speak up"

Popular posts from this blog

Books Books Books

Novels Into Movies!

Africa