Faith Is Faith

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged.” Mathew 7:1

As a human being, my natural disposition is to judge others. When I am aware that I’m being judgmental, I recall the above verse and it helps me shift my thoughts to something positive.

It has been many years since I have spent such a long time in India and interacted with so many fellow Christians in Hyderabad. A lot of these people are new to me and its fine. Many of these people adopted Christianity as adults and call themselves “born again Christians” (when you voluntarily chose the faith, you’re born again as a new person). Their faith is important to them and they want to share it far and wide. I share my faith with them as well. They are happy with our conversations until they discover that I have been a Christian since birth. This changes everything – including what they talk about to me and how they talk to me. I’m suddenly spammed by preachy messages – I’m judged for many things, especially for not being Christian enough, and I’m retaught a faith I have believed in since infancy.

There is a horrible misunderstanding in Hyderabad, that those who are born into Christian families don’t have the same beliefs or don't have the same passion for their faith. Its almost saying that our faith does not count. From my Uber driver to a fellow learning and development professional, they all believe, since they are newer Christians, they are better, holier and understand Christ’s passion, more than I do. They could be correct, but why dissect my character and judge me? I have been judged for my opinions, my clothes and my ideas. No one is perfect, except for Christ. The perfect Christian doesn’t exist.

To get back on topic, I understand the Christian passion, I understand the vigour and I understand the faith. It takes a lifetime to be selfless, and most don’t make it.

Most of my friends are Christians and a lot of them are not Indian. I have never had a conversation with them, where I was made to feel bad for being born into a Christian family. They have never judged me for the depth of my faith or the lack of it.

There is truth on both sides of the coin. People like me can energise themselves by learning from newer Christians and new Christians can learn a lesson or two in patience and not judging others.

There is no perfect answer and there will never be. We can decrease our burdens by checking our thoughts. For me faith is faith and love is love. Have you found yourself in an unnecessary situation with regards to your faith? Have you felt as if you were being judged by people who know they must not judge you? Please do share your thoughts through your comments.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books Books Books

Novels Into Movies!

Africa