Pain - Small - Pale Blue Dot

Yesterday evening when I was having a pillow fight with my dog, a sharp cry rang out from one end to a street to the other. It was a painful cry of a dog hurt badly. My dog stopped the game and began scratching the door to let herself out. Thinking that a dog fight is ensuing in the street I didnt let my dog out (not wanting her to get hurt). I stepped out into my street to realise that my neighbour's three month old pup was hurt, probably with a broken leg.

Some kid from the next lane hit the pup with a huge stone! When will people learn teach their children to behave themselves and respect animals? The kid got away with just a soft scolding from his mother the reason she gave "jaane dijiye, abhi bacha hai." Imagine that! Isn't a three month old pup a bacha too? If the kid was hit the could point out and cry out and tell where it exactly hurts but what about this pup? It could only hide in the corner withering and whimpering in pain. Some memories came back when I saw this innocent pup in pain.

Few months ago, my friend's pomeranian dog laid a litter of four pups. Unfortunately she was not strong enough and none of her pups survived even for an hour. We have seen humans wailing at the death of their loved ones... I have also wailed out in pain... But seeing this little white furry ceature loved for its cuteness wail out in agony was a painful sight. No words could comfort her.... nobody's pat mattered to her. She did not allow us to bury her pups for a very long time. She just sat near them and kept crying as she licked them clean. Its was a very painful sight. We were all helpless with all the numerous things we had. For me it was not the first time to see an animal crying at the loss of a child.

When I was 11 yrs old, there used to be a Tabela (cow shed) close to my house and we (me, my sisters and friends) used to go to this Tabela to buy fresh milk. There was one particular buffalo, huge and black, with red horns. We used to think she must be the most dangerous of the lot as her horns were painted. On asking the Tabela's owner (the farmer), he said that she was his favorite buffalo and so he had painted her horns red as he didnt want to lose sight of her. 

On one of our daily rambles to this Tabela, we heard this very particular buffalo making strange noises. It turned out that she was crying bitterly. The farmer too was shedding tears. We didnt really understand what was going on until we saw a dead calf. The farmer's wife told us that the buffalo gave birth to a calf and it died and so she is crying. The buffalo's cry was so loud and pain so intensely visible that none of the bulls, cows and buffaloes in the shed touched their fodder. It was as if they were all moaning the death of the calf. We kids also began crying. I still don't know why.

When there can be so much solidarity among animals, when they can have a heart as deep as a well, we can surely be better as humans. But I guess the fact that we know that we are a lot more smarter than all the living creatures, that it makes us heartless, makes us hollow. We think our lives are very big. We have cars, we have big houses, we make big money, we are boastful of the things we have but in truth we are very small. 


We are so small that we exist in a small pale blue dot suspended by a sun beam in  the unimaginable, indescribable, massive universe! Don't believe me? Our entire Solar System is the size of a Quarter (25$ coin I guess) coin as against the entire size of the North American continent! We are so insignificant in our own sub division, the Milky Way Galaxy. 


We are so small and we better realise it. Begin by respecting fellow living creature even if its a dog. There is no second Earth in the Universe and dogs or for that matter LIFE is not found anywhere else. 

I know I've written too much but couldn't stop once I began. 
Hoping that all living creatures are respected. Thats all for now.




Comments

Geeta Bose said…
Smriti, you write beautifully! I'm saying that because your writing has an honesty and simplicity about it that touches the reader's heart.

This is a very thoughtful piece. It made me think about the whole gamut of emotions that a human being experiences. While love, pain, anger, hatred are some aspects, human beings being a higher thinking creature also have to bear the burden of some complex emotions like aspiration for betterment, motivation to live well, urge to serve, or create things that are newer, better, and so much more. The challenge is how each human being handles these emotions - and the paths they choose to express these emotions.
sonia said…
Nice post, Smriti. Very well written. We can do nothing but hope parents teach their children to respect and love every creature in this world.
Smriti Paul said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smriti Paul said…
Thanks Geeta and Sonia.

Popular posts from this blog

Books Books Books

Novels Into Movies!

Africa