The Ghostly Farmer

Living in the suburbs of Hyderabad has its share of blessings. One such blessing, being able to take long walks on rugged roads surrounded by farmlands. Every time I go for one such walk early in the morning or late in the evening an old farmer, dressed in his Earth soiled dhoti, kurta and turban turns up out of nowhere surprising me. He walks along with me for a few minutes always asking me about my lunch, about how my day was and where I was going. I knew he was a farmer but some how to me he never seemed real as he would suddenly appear out of nowhere.

A few days ago, I was walking home in the rain and I met him again. He asked for the time and suggested that I buy an umbrella as these rains are not good.

This morning at 6:00AM, walking under the street lights, under the trees in the furious rain I see a ghostly figure walking towards me with a huge plastic bag over his head. It is the ghostly farmer again. He notices me and decides to walk back with me.

He was very cheerful in the rain, happy too. Why I asked, and he replies because it is raining. I complain that I might get drenched by the time I get to office and he says he will get drenched too by the time he reaches his farm. But today he's going to enjoy it because his crops can now grow. For the next few months he does not have to worry about his crops withering. He says his oxen will have enough to eat and he hopes I've had my breakfast as well. I reach the bus stop, he sees me off in the bus and says I must let my family know when I reach office as it is still too dark. I watch him walk away from the bus and he disappears in the rain.

One memorable encounter.

Comments

Anu Menon said…
Thats a beautiful post gurl!

Popular posts from this blog

Books Books Books

Novels Into Movies!

Africa