5 Ways Of Punching An Eve Teaser, Literally and Not!

I always complain and whine about how women are ill-treated in India but today my question is to the women. Women, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? Why can't you stand up for yourself and take matters into your hands? (LITERALLY!).

So this is the story. I was on my way home tonight, it is only 8:00PM, which means it is not too late in the night according to Hyderabad standards. At times I have to take one of those sharing autos rickshaws for a distance of 5kms. I opt for this mode of transport over a bus because it goes faster and is more comfortable. Just before the auto rickshaw started off a drunk man got in and sat behind the seat I and three other women were seated in. He put his disgusting arm on our seat and I immediately hated it and let him know about it as well. He obliged and then suddenly he started stroking the back of the girl sitting next to me. She looked old enough to not be scared but to scream and get attention but all she did was look at me with pain and shame in her eyes.

I turned around to see what was amiss and I found the man stroking the girl's back with one hand and fiddling himself with his other hand sickly!! As a reflex, I punched the man with my phone and knuckles in his face which resulted in his falling off the auto rickshaw on the road in a lot traffic. As my mind danced "yes, yes, yes', with three imaginary punches in the air, he started swearing in his drunk lingo! Coming to the girl, she started crying as if I had punched her relative. The driver stopped the vehicle not understanding how the man fell. The drunkard kept shouting unintelligible stuff. I and the other three women got off the vehicle and started kicking and beating the man up, a crowd began to gather and then the police arrived and dragged the man away and I reached home safe. Yes safe but really unhappy thinking as to why women don't stand up for themselves.

Ladies, stop crying and whining that you get teased or touched by some sick, disgusting animals on the road. Do something! Do something because you are your own master. You call the shots and you belong to the superior race! Your body is your own and no one has the right to touch you without your permission.
I don't know Karate, although I have always felt the need to learn that art. I can't find pepper sprays in Hyderabad so here is what I do when I feel intimidated. Hope these help you too.

  • Keep your palms clenched! A punch works better than a slap any day! Don't forget to YELL on the top of your lungs to get public attention.
  • Use whatever you're carrying in your hand as a weapon! Trust me your cell phone also makes a good weapon. If it breaks then it breaks for a worthy cause. And again YELL!
  • Pick up stones if your walking, nothing better when you aim it right! YELL again!
  • If you're driving and you're getting teased, take down the eve-teaser's vehicle number, walk in to the nearest police station and hand over the vehicle number. Trust me the police does help here.
  • If you're not able to take down the vehicle number, approach the traffic police officer at the next junction. The eve teaser will not only end up with broken bones but also will lose his vehicle.
A last word of advice, be alert all the time and make use of the plenty of options you have. Crying does not help but punching an offender will definitely give you a high like you can't imagine! So dear ladies, we are our own bodyguards. Protect yourselves, protect those who are too scared to protect themselves. After all we're all soul mates! :)

Comments

sonia said…
Good one, Smriti. Keep it going :)

Popular posts from this blog

Books Books Books

Novels Into Movies!

Africa