Indian Inquisitiveness


I get very excited when I hear Hindi or Telugu being spoken in the malls and entertainment centres of Johannesburg but I also get very sadly disappointed when I speak to my fellow Indians.

I have met many people from Hyderabad and other parts of India but all they want to know is where I work and how much I earn before they know my name. I have now started giving them false information about where I live, work and how much I earn. Hey, this is Johannesburg after all, and crime rate is much higher than what is desirable. Better to be safe than sorry.

I met a young Telugu family last weekend when I went to watch Inside Out at the cinemas. There was a wife, there was a husband and there were two little children and it warmed my heart to hear Telugu. Unfortunately my conversation with them lasted just a few minutes and once again I couldn’t make friends. Three years of not knowing any Indians in a foreign land does not irk me as much right now.

Indian inquisitiveness has always been a problem for me. I have estranged myself from several people only because they ask too many questions. I am sorry to face it out of India too but we all need to mind our own business and a friendly conversation with a stranger does not need to become repulsively irritating.

This is how my conversation with the couple at the movies went:

The Wife: “Oh you speak Telugu too, where are you from?”
Me: “From Hyderabad.”
The Husband: “Where in Hyderabad?”
Me: I lied and said “Kukatpally.” It was now my turn to ask where they were from and they promptly replied Anantapur. I was left guessing why did they even want to know where in Hyderabad I lived if they were not from Hyderabad?

Now for part two…

The Wife: “Where do you work?”
Me: I lied and gave them the name of a company I do not work at.
The Husband: “Where in Jo’burg do you live?”
Me: I lied once again.
The Wife: “How much do you earn?”
Me: With a shocked expression, “uh, enough!” By ‘enough’ I actually meant ‘enough questions - let me watch a movie I am paying for!
Sadly, the message went unheard.

Part three…

The Wife: “Are you married?” to which I replied “yes”.
The Husband: “Does your husband earn more than R50 000 a month, because if he does not it’s hard to get by in Jo’burg.”
Me: “I’m sorry I can’t talk anymore!” - So saying I got up from my seat and fortunately found another one and watched my movie in peace.

The End!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books Books Books

Novels Into Movies!

Africa