A Snippet of a Migrant's Diary

My first memory is that of a hot summer day, when I walked among the green fields in the village, where there was always plenty. In that fond memory, I am clearly not alone, there are other children and some adults, all sitting under a massive tree and resting. What a stark contrast to the construction site where I lay bricks and concrete now. It is another hot day but Mumbai’s humidity makes it unbearable.

The sun catches the silver ring on one of my fingers and I am reminded of Mamatha and the tree under which I teased her for putting the ring on my finger. There was so much greenery and I never appreciated it. The nostalgia helps me through the day and allows me to hope that I can return to the green fields when my job at the construction site is done – return home, at least for a few days of rest.

Mid-March

It is just mid-March, but the heat and humidity already affect me. I am dehydrated and yet I need to work to send money home. I am worried. What worries me are the stories about how the virus is taking lives. Is it all true? I am worried about my family – who would protect them and care for them if the virus got to them. I am used to uncertainty, but the uncertainty caused by this virus is something that I cannot describe. I just do not know the words.

It is another warm humid morning. Last night a lockdown was announced. I have no idea what it means. Apparently, I cannot go to work, or the shops or home. Apparently, I need to stay where I am. Apparently, the virus needs to be controlled and apparently, it must be this way or no way. By the time I found out about the lockdown, it was too late to find any money or any supplies.

I wish my contractor had paid me. I wish I had asked to be paid. I wish I had gone home. I wish I had left when the thought first occurred to me. Did it occur to me? I do not believe so, as there was no warning about the lockdown. I am not sure if I was being greedy by staying. Was I being greedy or was I just in need? I will tell you what I was, I was desperately in need of money to go home and so I waited. What a mistake.

Mid-April

It has been a month since the lockdown. I have managed to survive. I have been evicted from the room I shared with others like me, as I could not pay my rent. I am spending my days and nights at the railway station with the hope that maybe I can still return home. Some days I contemplate walking along the railway tracks that go home. I am struggling to cope. I am struggling to survive. I want to go home but how am I to do that? Home means food, water, peace and life. Staying where I am is death – death from starvation, death from disease and death from loneliness.

Its been a month and a half since the lockdown. Many people like me have started walking to their homes. Some have died on the way; some died after reaching home. I do not want to die but I do not have any resources left. Today is my second day of hunger. One of many, where I shall sleep on an empty stomach on a hot railway bench.

Mid-May

Its two months today since the lockdown began. Trains have started running again to help people like me get home, where we have a chance of survival. I was full of hope, but my hopes crashed when I saw the forms in English, the need for a One Time Password and ready cash to get on a train. How can I, who knows not a word in English, own a phone or have money, get on to one of these home-bound trains?  I think I need to endure, but now I also want Dariya Raja to embrace me and swallow me whole. Please someone help me.

Help comes in the form of a railway officer. He told me he would give me a train ticket to my destination, in exchange for the silver ring on my finger. I am crushed and I hate the man. Although I have not eaten properly for nearly a week, I did not think of selling my ring. How can I now just give it away? What would I tell Mamatha? How will I face her?

I have missed the train; I have also vomited bile and my nose is bleeding. The railway officer taunts me saying I would have been on my way home, if not for my pride. He is not wrong. Maybe if I can get on another train, I can die at home?

The railway officer refused my request and my ring until I fell on his feet and cried. I do not like begging. I am not a beggar, but I begged for my life. What does this make me? When I begged, I was engulfed by silence and darkness. I fell asleep from exhaustion.

I woke up with a jolt. Something was moving – I was moving. I opened my eyes and realised I am on a train that is homeward bound. I was overjoyed but I was unable to show it. People around me in the train stared at me sympathetically and an old woman offered me some water. I could not drink the water. I could not swallow the water. My eyes flew open, they bulged for a moment and again there was silence and darkness. I felt myself falling into a deep slumber and I thought to myself – finally, I die.

Today

Today is two days later, and the train has reached its destination. Everyone has gotten off, except me. I died and did not reach home. Today, my resilient spirit urges me to move forward, towards home, and I will endure my existence.


Comments

sheetu said…
Love this and it's so heart touching ❤️
Unknown said…
Woow! I shared a tear. This is very deep!
Amrita R said…
So sad. I didn't WANT to read the end, but of course I HAD to...
Seena said…
Very touching but one of the harsh realities of the day...
Lawrence said…
Heart wrenching stories that I heard is so well encapsulated by you..great work
Smriti Paul said…
Thank you for your comments and feedback everyone.

Popular posts from this blog

Books Books Books

Novels Into Movies!

Africa