A Different View



A few years ago when my grand uncle told me that I am stubborn in my opinions and a bit narrow minded I did not readily agree. To which, he very agreeably added that my mind-set will change when I see the world.

I haven’t seen the world yet but I have experienced living in two different countries and passing through a third very often. I would like to believe that my world view was not shamefully narrow when I was living in India. I was very much on the side of rebellion. The growth and mental maturity that comes with traveling and experiencing other cultures should never be discounted.

In the past, when I was a fresher in the job market, I was strict about religion and I called myself ‘spiritual’. Now when I turn back, I realise I was just being a fanatic, not using reason to defend what I believe. Over the years I have come to realise that being a person who does not judge others is the way to live. Why should I and how can I judge anyone in this world apart from myself? I just do not have the moral right to do so. I realised that instead of judging people for who they are I need to show them love and respect to be at peace with myself. I view things very differently now and I am glad I do.

I do not believe I would have matured into this higher form of thinking if I had been confined to my daily routine in India. I am not saying anything against my country or trying to be one of those NRIs who return with an undecipherable accent and an incomprehensible attitude towards the dirty roads and the pollution of the big cities, neither am I not propagating an anti-India doctrine. But within my heart, I wish, we as Indians could see the world differently. 

At a time when we need to seriously consider helping under privileged people survive the severe heatwave, we’d rather debate and dissect India’s first lesbian TV ad. When there are more pressing national and economic issues, why do we need to subject ourselves to doing a post mortem of someone’s sexual orientation? I fail to understand this mind-set. Why is it so difficult for the average Indian to grow out of his/her set beliefs? Shouldn't life be about exploring and learning new things?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books Books Books

Novels Into Movies!

Africa